Step 1: Creating a New Profile
Click on the Publish Icon in the NetObjects Fusion Toolbar, Then select publish settings
Click on the Settings icon to bring up the Publish Settings dialog box.
On the Publish Settings palette click on the New button.
The Publish Settings dialog box will open
- Open the drop down box next to the label Server Type and select FTP (File Transfer Protocol)
- Give this new profile a name such as Remote Server or Remote Publish or FTP Account
- In the Server Name box enter the FTP location that was given to you by your Web Hosting Company when you set up your web hosting account. Some use ftp.domain.com some use just the domain.com, some will use an IP address with a folder. Each will be different so this information needs to come from your web hosting provider
- In the Directory: input box, enter the default directory you wish Fusion to publish all of your files to. The Default Directory is your web server root. This can be www or wwwroot or public_html Ask your web hosting provider what name to use
- In UserName: Enter your hosting account username or your FTP account username. If you do not know this, ask your hosting provider.
- In Password: Enter your hosting account password or your FTP account password. If you do not know this, ask your hosting provider.
- In Live URL: Enter the full URL of your web site
- Once you have all of your information entered press the Close button to create this new profile
Your completed profile should look similar to this
Step 2: Test Your Connection
To make sure that you have entered all of the correct information press the Test button. Fusion will connect to your remote host using the information you entered. If everything is correct you will get a Connection to Host Successful alert box. If something was not entered correctly you will get a Connection Failed alert box. IF you get this error dialog check that you are connected to the internet, check your username and password, check the server name for misspelling and check that the root folder is listed properly. IF all seems correct check with your web host to verify that you have the proper information to connect to your web site
Step 3: Verifying the Correct Folder
Once you have passed step 2 and the connection is verified you should then check to make sure you have entered the right directory information in your profile.
In the right side panel, select the profile you just made from the drop down list and click the Connect button
Fusion will connect to your remote web site on your host server and display the contents of the folder you entered into the directory input box.
If the directory listing does not look correct go back and double check the directory settings in your remote profile
To disconnect from the remote server press the Disconnect button in the upper right corner of the remote side. If you cannot figure out what to enter into the directory section, contact your web host for assistance. Fusion will put your files where you tell it to put them so make sure you are uploading to the correct location so that your web site can be viewed by others
Did you find this tutorial useful?
Do you want to keep this resource online?
Make a donation to keep gotFusion alive
This page was written by and is maintained by turtle