Posting a question in a news group may seem like a daunting task. You see all of the banter going on between people and you are not sure what you need to ask or even how to ask it. You've already read the the Google/Usenet Archives, read the user manual, and gone through the program help pages. If you cannot find the answer in those resources, here are a few guide lines that will help you author your post so that you will receive an answer to your problem.
- Include all necessary information: When asking a question, please include all of the necessary information. Including information about your computer and OS, the full version of Fusion you are using (7.02.0000.5001), describe the exact problems you are experiencing, and include a link to an online example of your problem.
- Be concise: State the exact steps needed to recreate what you are experiencing not "my menu does not work". Post a link to the problem page. Post a Link to a screen shot showing the problem or where you are having difficulty. The more information you provide about your problem the quicker it can be resolved.
- Post a link: Upload your problem page to your web server and post a link to it in your message. I guarantee if you do not do give a link to your problem the 1st response you receive will ask you for it. Being able to see what you are talking about will help other readers of the newsgroup in determining a resolution to your problem. If you have HTML compression turned on in your publish settings, TURN IT OFF then upload the page again so that the source code can be read.
- Do NOT post large attachments: If you have a small graphic or screen shot (under 30k in size) that shows your problem attach it to your post. Do not attach an entire web page or your 20 meg nod file. All posts made to the newsgroup are archived and your whopper attachment will become a permanent part of the newsgroup record. If your attachment is too large the post may be deleted.
- Post in the appropriate group: If your question is about databases post in the dynamic-sites group, if it is about how to slice an image post in the web-design group, if you want a review of your site post in the new-sites group. If in doubt where to ask your question, post in the gen-discuss group. Do not cross post your question to every Fusion newsgroup.
- Do NOT cross post: Cross posting is placing the same message in more than one newsgroup. All of the Fusion newsgroups are "patrolled" by Team NetObjects and other knowledgable people so there is never a need to cross post within the Fusion and GotFusion newsgroups. An exception to this would be if you have a question about a 3rd party component such as one from CoolMaps. You could post your question in the Fusion Components group and on the CoolMaps newsgroup, where it will be seen by different support people. If you feel you MUST cross post please do it properly.
- Keep your responses within the thread you started: When you need additional explanations to your question, keep them within the thread you initially started. DO NOT start a new thread on your topic. By keeping to one message thread about your problem, others who are trying to help you will not have to look through the entire newsgroup to continue working on your problem. Use the watch feature of your news reader to mark your topic so that you can come back later and find it easily.
- Don't get mad: Do not get mad or hostile in the newsgroups. These forums are frequented by users and volunteers (Team NetObjects). It is some times frustrating when you are experiencing troubles but getting angry will not help you find a solution to your problem. A thread that turns insulting will be removed.
Did you find this page useful? Would like to view all of our tutorials and support pages?
Join the NetObjects Fusion Users Group Community
This page was written by and is maintained by turtle